Friday 26 March 2010

" Retro Skull Duggery"

Here is an interview with the Yorkshire artist Retro Skull Duggery Thanks for taking the time to answer questions and keep up the good work!

" Retro Skull Duggery" how did that name come about and why?

i remember around 2003/2004 i sketched out two characters clobbered up in fila, adidas etc, i was going through a 'lad' phase... that is where 'retro' comes into it yeah as i was influenced by the 80s football casual era, the 'skull-duggery' is paying homage to sayings that are long gone, i remember in my youth 'skull-duggery' meant to be naughty like 'skally-wag' so i thought i would bring it back, and it hadn't been used anywhere else.

Who are the main influences when you try and draw/paint a new peice and who do you take insperation from?

I follow many art, culture blogs/zines such as Faesthetic, Juxtapoz and VNA, i get major influence from artists and idea's on there, but i have had a varied taste over the years, i have massive respect for Manga, specifially Katsuhiro Otomo who created Akira, that was what opened my eyes to the art world, two of my other favourite artists are Don Hertzfeldt and Mike Judge. Just lately i have been into alot more urban/underground art, the work of D*Face and Mike Giant are what i aim to be doing in the near future, the amount of detail and swift lines are exceptional.

I notice that some of your work has a vague pop art feel to it, Do you mean for this to come across?

I feel that many art styles have been done to death and for new artists it is hard for them to decipher their own unique style, for me i have used the bold black outline and colourful cartoon fills from as far back as i can remember, i am a fan of pop art, Roy Lichtenstein and Andy Warhol mainly, but i try to keep doing things to my style.

Did you do any art-based qualifications at school or are you just a natural at what you do?

At secondary school i choose graphic design and art as my options, and i went on to do a BTEC National Diploma in graphics at college, i didn't really learn anything during this time apart from how to use illustrator and photoshop, so i skipped university and ended up in a dead end job, so it is pretty much natural talent.

Who do you follow in Football?

I support leeds utd, all my life... through the ups and downs, in fact mainly all downs haha

and last but not least does music inspire you to draw/write?

Music plays a massive part in my life and also in my inspiration, i have my ipod on shuffle when i draw, depending on what mood i am in, lately to get me going iv been banging out some Massive Attack-Blue Lines and some old school hip hop like Beastie Boys and A Tribe Called Quest, britpop is the main influence in my work, the ;lad' generation but when im feeling emotional i usually slap on some MTV Unplugged Nirvana, the grunge scene has an atmosphere to it which makes me excel yeah, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Silverchair, Sound garden,dinosaur jr,Black Flag, Minor Threat, Clash and Specials, to name a few.

Keep it foolish yeah?

join his Facebook group which shows some of his art : http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=44552089259&ref=ts
he also has most of his art-work up on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/retroskull-duggery/


The man is also into his music and his clothes!


here is some of his art-work I find it original and also a breath of fresh air and it also has his unique style.

"Pack Lads"




No comments:

Post a Comment