Monday 21 March 2011

Wigan Pier

Now when we shunt the back’s in front and the front part’s in the rear
If we survive then we’ll arrive alongside Wigan Pier.- On The Wigan Boat Express, George Formby





Wigan Pier, Is one of the main things that have made my town famous, When people hear the words Wigan Pier, They think of George Orwell or George Formby, The pier however was nothing more than a coal loading staithe where wagons from colliers around the town would unload onto canal boats.


The book - Road to Wigan Pier by Orwell, Shows us what life was like in post-war Britan and did not picture my town in a particular good light, The Other reference, A musical hall joke.


To finish off I will leave the quote what George Orwell found when he eventually got to end of Wallgate and found Wigan Pier.


"At one time on one of the little muddy canals that run round the town, there used to be a tumble-down wooden jetty; and by way of a joke someone nicknamed this Wigan Pier. ...to judge from the photographs it must have been about twenty feet long. ...I made a journey specially to see it in 1936, and I couldn't find it. ...I am afraid I must tell you that Wigan Pier doesn't exist. ...the place itself had been demolished."























































No comments:

Post a Comment